I have been suffering from insomnia over the past 8 months and it’s been tough not knowing the number of hours of sleep I get on a daily basis. Just until a few years ago, I was made to either write down our sleep timings in a notebook and refer to that over the course of time. This was ineffective as I couldn’t get consistent data. It was only when a family member recommended a smartwatch did things fall into place. Check out our guide on How does the Amazfit watch detect sleep for more details.
The most accurate and reliable way to have your sleep tracked is by wearing a sleep tracker or a fitness smartwatch that has an inbuilt sleep tracker. These must-have smartwatches can drastically help improve your sleep cycle.
With Amazfit smartwatches, your curiosity is a thing of the past as you’re now able to track your sleep patterns. I came across the Amazfit while I was searching for a decent smartwatch which supports all the relevant sports and health functions that I can track on a daily basis. Let me take you through how Amazfit watches help track sleep and what benefits it can possess.
In my quest to figure out how Amazfit watches detect sleep, I ended up review pretty much all the Amazfit watches in the market. I also went through most popular sleep tracking apps as well. I found that:
Amazfit watches use a combination of sensors like gyroscope, pedometer, heart rate sensor and accelerometer to detect body movement and heart rate. The recent Amazfit watches like the T-Rex also detect Spo2 values to give the user highly accurate sleep metrics.
How does the Amazfit watch detect sleep
How does the Amazfit watch detect sleep
Amazfit has manufactured some of the best budget smartwatches in the market and is loaded with plenty of features. The Amazfit series was designed to help you track your SPO2, sleep cycles and GPS apart from other functions and this can be done simply by strapping the smartwatch onto your wrist.
- In order to have your Amazfit paired with your smartphone you will have to download and install an application, Amazfit tools from the Play Store.
- Currently the Amazfit Tools provide you with full integration of Sleep with Android application and is the best sleep tracker available on the Android platform. The Sleep with Android integration allows your Amazfit smartwatch to keep a track on the deep sleep phase, REM sleep, anti-snoring and lucid dreaming amongst others.
- This feature is available on Amazfit devices that are running on Amazfit Tools 4.0.0 and above or on the Amazfit T-Rex, Amazfit GTS, Amazfit GTR, Amazfit Verge Lite, Amazfit Bip, Amazfit Bip Lite, Amazfit Bip S, Amazfit Cor, Amazfit Cor 2 and Amazfit Arc.
Enabling the Amazfit sleep tracker on Android is a simple two step task.
- Start by accessing Sleep as Android > Settings > Wearables > Sleep tracking
- With the Amazfit smartwatches, you’re guaranteed a long battery life (20-30 days), this allows you to track your sleep cycles for longer durations before having to charge your Amazfit.
Make sure you enable the Sleep tracking option under wearable so Amazfit can begin tracking your sleep cycles.
With the update in the firmware version of the Amazfit GTR and GTS, you are now able to track your daytime nap sessions. This update will monitor any sporadic naps you may have during the day as long as it’s a minimum of 20 minutes.This feature is available on the firmware 18.104.22.168 of the Amazfit GTR and 0.0.9.12 of the Amazfit GTS.
The Amazfit Tools app also comes enabled with a “Take a Nap” feature that helps you set up power naps to revitalize your mind. All you have to do is tap on Take a nap and don’t touch any other button on the smartwatch. Any additional button pushed on the watch will add a pre configured number of minutes to the overall time set for your power nap. The best thing about enabling “Take a Nap” is that all notifications are shut off while power-napping.
The Amazfit Tools is a one stop app which links your smartphone with your Amazfit smartwatch. Similar to many smartwatch applications, the Amazfit Tools for Android can help you track a wide range of data from your steps taken each day to the duration and quality of your sleep cycles.
- As of August 2020, Amazfit is now known as Zepp and would be found on the Google Play Store under that name. This is due to the fact that in 2018 Huami bought the sports tech company Zepp.
The sleep tracking mechanism on Zepp is pretty accurate and creates daily records of your sleep cycles.
While installing the app and configuring it to your liking, you’re provided with an option to set your sleep goals, a number of hours per day that you’d like to sleep.
Once in, the App gives you information like the overall sleep score by taking into account your pre-sleep state and wake-up moods apart from the stages of sleep you experience.
The Zepp application lets you decide if you wish to receive personalized advice related to your sleeping cycles by enabling Sleep Smart Analysis.
The Amazfit GTS is a low budget smartwatch with high specification making it one of the cheapest reliable smartwatches around. With a square faced design and a 1.65 inch AMOLED display, the GTS is pretty impressive in terms of quality and accuracy of the data it tracks. The Amazfit GTS has an inbuilt heart rate monitor, built in GPS, allows you to track your steps and workout and set goals while tracking your sleep.
- The GTS uses heart rate tracking along with your motion to generate a standard sleep score. The Heart rate tracker has to be enabled in order for the sleep score to be generated. Though wake-up periods were quite accurate, the watch lacks the feature to track REM sleep accurately.
- The Amazfit GTS even provides the user with details of your stats and this can be viewed via the Zepp app and primarily focuses on sleep consistency.
The notable features of the Huami Amazfit GTS are:
- The GTS houses a customized 1.65” AMOLED display, offering a larger display area to provide focus on what matters the most.
- The GTS comes with a 14 day battery life allowing you to charge it lesser than others.
- Being water resistant is a required feature especially for swimmers alike, the GTS is 5 ATM water resistant and can function at a depth of 50 meters.
- With 12 sports modes, the GTS will keep a track of every single activity you take part in. The GTS supports outdoor running, walking, outdoor cycling, indoor cycling, treadmill, elliptical trainer, climb, trail run, pool swimming, open water swimming, skiing, exercise.
- The GTS includes a round the clock heart rate monitoring and heart-rate interval monitoring feature which will detect if the heart rate levels are dangerously high and warn the user.
With Sleep tracker, the GTS enables you to achieve your sleep goals and get the most from your nights sleep.
|Body Material||Aircraft grade aluminum alloy|
|Waterproof rating||5 ATM|
|Sensors||BioTracker, 6-axis accelerator, 3-axis geomagnetic sensor, Air pressure and Ambient light sensor|
|Touch Screen||Corning Gorilla Glass 3|
What is defined as good sleep?
Contrary to popular belief, getting eight hours of sleep does not mean you have slept for a long enough duration. Sleeping without a tracker does not take account of the number of times you wake up during the night.
A good night’s sleep comprises 4 stages that are accurately tracked on the Amazfit. These are:
- Initial sleep or the drowsiness you may experience as you’re about to doze off.
- A deeper state of rest where your overall body temperature drops lower while you disengage from your surroundings.
- Deep sleep is recorded to be the state of mind where there is least amount of activity taking place in your body. This is the most important phase as the body tends to rebuild itself by releasing hormones and restoring your depleted energy levels.
You will slip back into stage 2 for a brief moment before entering dream sleep or REM. Each phase should last an average of 1.5 hours or 90 minutes in order for the body to feel replenished when you wake up.
Actigraphy or the science of sleep tracking
Actigraphy is a method to monitor the resting cycle in humans. Using movements to determine if a person is asleep or not, smartwatches especially those from Amazfit have this feature embedded and is activated automatically on a daily basis when the body is at rest.
- Owning a wrist device that tracks your sleep cycles and patterns is much less expensive than having the tests being conducted at a hospital. It’s convenient that manufacturers have taken the time to have this feature included within their smartwatches allowing even the common man to track his sleeping routine from the confines of his/her home.
- With wearable devices, the easiest method to figure out if you’re sleeping is by tracking your movements throughout the night and can pinpoint when you sleep, how long you spend sleeping and when you wake up in the middle of the night for a glass of water or to use the washroom.
These motion detectors can track if you’ve had a restless nights sleep and stores all the data in the app on your smartphone so it can be reviewed at a later time.
How does the Amazfit watch detect sleep – Takeaway
I was able to get over my insomnia and figured out that it was actually ruining my health. This was after picking up the Huami Amazfit GTS and using it to track my sleep cycles. I received a lot of information regarding my sleeping patterns which have helped me understand the things I need to do in order to get a good night’s rest.
Check out our guide on How does the Amazfit watch detect sleep for details on how to track your sleep, the beneficial uses of the sleep tracking feature, features of the app and more.
How accurate is Amazfit?
To be honest the sleep tracking data that Amazfit smartwatches provide is more of an estimate or an approximate value. Unfortunately you can’t get really accurate data without having electrodes hooked up to you head. However, this estimate is fairly accurate which is what’s important to understand.
It’s better than nothing and you still can plan accordingly using this approximate data. The latest Amazfit watches like T-Rex are even more accurate as they can detect Spo2 and REM sleep. Check out our guide on How does the Amazfit watch detect sleep for more details.